Born to Run
Thanks to a mere six-hour wait and a lucky number in the GA lottery, I watched to Bright Eyes/REM/Bruce Springsteen Vote for Change concert resting my elbows (and my notebook) on the stage, just a few steps from Patty Scialfa's mic. It was a great show, and there'll be more about it in my Mother Jones' piece.
But it was after the show that things got really interesting. I arrived back at the Westin and stopped by the bar to have a nightcap, when I met Alex Kirby and Andrew Montgomery, who were hosting the Airport Cities conference, which started on Monday. They publish a magazine. I write for magazines. It's kismet. "Come to the reception tomorrow," insisted Alex. "I'll introduce you to the governor." (She'd been at the Springsteen concert, but we weren't introduced.) "Actually, change your plans. Come to the whole conference."
So, I have. Alex was right. I've met a lot a great people, researched a few stories, and spent 2 more days enjoying Detroit before heading to my friend Elaine's. I'm sure there's an applicable Springsteen lyric, but I can't think of one right now. More later.
But it was after the show that things got really interesting. I arrived back at the Westin and stopped by the bar to have a nightcap, when I met Alex Kirby and Andrew Montgomery, who were hosting the Airport Cities conference, which started on Monday. They publish a magazine. I write for magazines. It's kismet. "Come to the reception tomorrow," insisted Alex. "I'll introduce you to the governor." (She'd been at the Springsteen concert, but we weren't introduced.) "Actually, change your plans. Come to the whole conference."
So, I have. Alex was right. I've met a lot a great people, researched a few stories, and spent 2 more days enjoying Detroit before heading to my friend Elaine's. I'm sure there's an applicable Springsteen lyric, but I can't think of one right now. More later.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home